Re: Feedback on H/PCs

Subject: Re: Feedback on H/PCs
From: Douglas Vereschagin <Douglas_Vereschagin -at- SPECTRUMSIGNAL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:29:19 -0700

I myself haven't used a color HPC/PDA, but I've been using a Sharp Zaurus (a
monochrome non- Windows CE device) for a few years. And I've been keeping my
eyes and ears open about new developments.

My conclusions / points to consider:

MAJOR drawback about color machines - short battery life, in some cases,
only a few hours (treat the manufacturer's figures with a grain of salt).
Especially if using a modem. So if you really don't need color, go with
monochrome.

Major factor - convenience of keyboard - size and spacing of keys, how hard
you have to press.

How easy is the screen to use in bright/dark light?

Available software for the platform- s/w provided with the device, and
available from third-parties. Especially handwriting recognition.
Some units also can record short voice memos (like a digital tape recorder)

How compatible will the files produced on your palmtop be? I don't think
Pocket Word supports tables, styles, index, etc. But for taking notes and
transferring to your PC, should do just fine.

Find a few models that you think may suit your needs, and talk to people who
use them. Their feedback would be even more valuable, if they've used more
than one type of device. Check out related newsgroups (PDAs, HPCs, mobile
computing, hand-helds, etc.)

Don't overlook non-Windows CE devices. The Psion 5 (by Psion) is often
ranked very highly in reviews - great keyboard (keys are slightly smaller
than a laptop's), very reliable software and hardware; in fact, Psion
apparently is number 1 in Europe (they have a bunch of older models). I
myself would seriously consider the Psion 5.

George, if you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

Doug Vereschagin
Burnaby, BC, Canada