Re: Project Estimating

Subject: Re: Project Estimating
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- FREEWAY -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 16:32:24 -0400

Peter,

Consider taking Dr. George Hayhoe's Publication Management class, through
Utah State University. It is offered completely online for a reasonable
price. It starts in the next couple weeks. I took it last fall and it was
well worth the time. I believe Dr. Hayhoe has made some changes which
should make it even better. You will have an opportunity to work through a
sample project and learn some of the ins and outs of project management.

It probably isn't something you can learn in a hurry. You will have to come
up with your own estimates based on your ability. You'll have to take a
close look at the elements in your particular project and start keeping
records of how long each task takes. In our class, several of us came up
with the conclusion that estimates are going to be way off the first time.
Hopefully you'll make better and better estimates with each project. Good
estimates only come with practice. However, JoAnn Hackos does give some
general guidelines in her book, "Managing Your Documentation Projects." It
is a "must read" for anyone who is thinking about going independently or
will manage a pubs department. BTW, Dr. Hayhoe uses this as the textbook
for the class.

Finally, please check the archives. This issue has made the rounds several
times in the last three or four years. Undoubtedly you'll find some
valuable tips from those who have abandoned SS Techwr-l.

Tom Johnson
Traverse City, MI.
Where the air and water are clean, but it gets really cold in the winter.

business johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com
personal thomasj -at- freeway -dot- net

On Tuesday, August 25, 1998 3:50 PM, Peter Pappas [SMTP:ppappas -at- SILK -dot- NET]
wrote:
> Can anyone offer any guidelines or rules of thumb or checklists for
> estimating the time required to complete print-based or on-line help
> projects?
>
> These formulas would be applied to new work and revisions to existing
> documentation. Graphics (screen captures) are usually required and some
> would be annotated.
>
> Many thanks.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=