Desk Marketing

Subject: Desk Marketing
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 17:44:45 EDT

My fast-growing client being tight on space, I (like all the other consultants
here) find myself stuck in the hallway at a table, with everybody passing by.
Not the best of all situations, but with one big potential advantage, as I
have discovered.

About a month after I got here, having produced an assortment of not-yet-
quite-official documents, I decided to organize them at least to the point of
putting them in a binder. Then I thought, "Why just one binder?", and
proceeded to print off cover pages and spine labels for every type of document
I'd produced: software standards, an operation guide, a system administration
guide, forms, etc.

Bingo! Instant visible productivity!

Now everybody who walks by my desk has a fair idea of what I'm producing
(otherwise most of them wouldn't have a clue.) The contents of the binders
have become more substantial and the binders themselve increase in number.
Each labeled with a nice logo and big bold titles.

Add to this some of the on-line forms I've produced (in Word) which people
across the company are using, and the relative obscurity in which I toil is
illumined as by a great light.

Hey, if you don't toodle your own trumpet....

Jim Chevallier
North Hollywood
==TW page - http://members.aol.com/jimcheval/twone.htm
== Ego page - http://www.gis.net/~jimcheval