Re: 2 posts in one...one relevant, one not necessarily...

Subject: Re: 2 posts in one...one relevant, one not necessarily...
From: Marjorie Hermansen-Eldard <meldard -at- ZZSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:50:44 -0600

Lisa,

Here at ZZSoft, we produce a circulation management database for publishers. Our "customers" are data entry clerks--often temporaries--who have little if any technical training. The examples (I call them scenarios) we create are fictional but based on the step-by-step use of the software.

I learned long ago that "cute, funny, etc" don't work well in software documentation--especially if you plan to localize/translate. . . all that carefully crafted humor is either lost on or offensive to non-English speakers.

Here's an example of one of my customer service scenarios:

Another advantage of the Eclipse addressing capabilities includes the New Future/ Temp... option. Suppose that Mr. Thomas Jensen, a professor at New Mexico State University, will be living in London during the months of June, July, and August, 1999.

To add Mr. Jensen's London address to his customer record, click the New Future/ Temp... button on his Customer Record tabbed sheet.
Enter the London address in the Address2 line on the Address form. Complete the remaining address information for the London address and click Save. The new address becomes Address #2 on the Address tabbed sheet.

Now, when Mr. Jensen arrives in London next spring, his publications will arrive at the London address you've entered in the Eclipse database.

I realize that not all companies localize/translate their products. I also realize that perhaps, in some industries, humor and cute might work. I have yet to find an instance of that in my experience in the software industry. That is not to say they don't exist. . .

Marj Hermansen-Eldard
Senior Technical Writer
ZZSoft, Inc.

>>> Lisa Comeau <COMEAUL -at- CSA -dot- CA> 08/25 9:39 AM >>>
Off topic: check the Dilbert site
http://www.dilbert.com/

- and a relevant topic:

How exactly do *you* (yep, it's an opinion question, g*d forbid!) go about using examples in manuals that get your point across? I'm curious to see whether you use cute names, humor, or "real" people (the Vice President of Finance), and which you feel is most effective in *your* situation at the present time. Also, if it is effective, do you ever think the circumstances will change? If it is "not" effective, what would you change?

(There's a method to my madness, I'm trying to make a case for a standard type of example in "our" user manuals, and I haven't decided which way to go yet...)

Lisa Comeau
IS Super-User/Trainer
Certification and Testing Division
Canadian Standards Association