Re: This Angers Me: Challenging and oppressive SME situation

Subject: Re: This Angers Me: Challenging and oppressive SME situation
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 16:25:10 -0600

Linda writes:

> I am really angered by the overall response to this posting.
>
> On the basis of an ANONYMOUS poster's OBVIOUSLY one-sided, self-serving,
> and self-flattering account, there has been a stampede to condemn the
> faceless SME without benefit of hearing her side of the story. All of
> you would be livid if someone did that to you, but apparently it's okay
> if you do it to someone else.

Well, I think you might be taking it too far to the other extreme. First
off, many of the responses have pointed out that this could simply be a
matter of confused expectations and that direct communication may go far to
alleviate the situation. Second, a great deal of the responders have simply
recounted their experiences and added that they could not judge the SME in
question. And third, you've committed the same sort of rash judgement by
determining the account as "obviously" self-serving and self-flattering
(even though it may be quite accurate). The poster went out of her way to
say that she may have exacerbated the problem because of the relaxed
relationship she has with her manager. She also acknowledged that she is out
of her depth with this project.

If the poster had named the people and the company involved, I think it
would merit this kind of reaction. And I can understand why you might
disagree with some of the responses. But be angered by it?

Sheesh, let's relax a little here.

Bill Burns
ILE Communications/Eccentric Technology Consultant
billdb -at- ile -dot- com
> You can't gouge out your mind's eye.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=