Re: Alternative way to say strongly?

Subject: Re: Alternative way to say strongly?
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 16:08:34 -0600

Linda writes:

> Competent professional
> translators will ensure that the original intent is conveyed in the
> translation.

I agree, and I'll add that some word choices are poor, but not merely
because they're mildly figurative (like "strongly"). If a word has a synonym
that could cause confusion, or if a word is used in a context where its
syntactic role is unclear, the translator will have to verify with someone
(usually the author) what the intended meaning is. I'm at a loss for a good
example right now, but I have plenty of bad ones (like using "install" as a
noun--a backformation of installation).

Bill Burns
ILE Communications/Eccentric Technology Consultant
billdb -at- ile -dot- com
> You can't gouge out your mind's eye.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=