voice recognition software

Subject: voice recognition software
From: Jill Burgchardt <jburgcha -at- PESTILENCE -dot- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:11:07 -0600

With the discussion of RSI and ergonomic mouse/trackball solutions, I'm
wondering how many people have tried voice recognition software. I've
read/heard about IBM's product and Dragon Naturally Speaking, but I don't know
anyone who actually uses either product.

Mostly, I'm curious about editing and formatting text once entered. How much
can be done by speaking and how much do you need to return to the mouse/keyboard
to accomplish?

Also, with headsets is it possible to use this software in a work environment
without disturbing coworkers? (We have 6x8 cubicles, with 6 ft. walls, so it
would need to work when speaking VERY softly.)

Anyone have experience with these products?

Jill Burgchardt
jburgcha -at- pestilence -dot- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=