Re: Chunking Web Information

Subject: Re: Chunking Web Information
From: Keith Wolfe <keith -at- MERGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:05:41 -0600

This proves that one man's window is another man's door. I'm sure most of us
agree with Jason...

-=-=-=-=-=-SNIP-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-SNIP-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-SNIP-=-=-=-=-=-=

Jason Willebeek-LeMair wrote:

> There has been a lot of advice about dividing long passages of
> information into separate web pages because users do not want to have to
> scroll.
>
> This is generally good advice if each page contains discrete units of
> information that the user may want to access without reference to the
> surrounding information, but be careful. Some users may not feel like
> sitting at their desk to read your words of wisdom. They may want to
> print it out for later reference, to read at lunch, on the bus on the
> way home (or while stopped in rush hour 8-) ), or to help put them to
> sleep at night. Printing out a chunked piece can be a real pain in the
> butt.
>
> So, sometimes you want a long, scrolling page (with an adequate, linked
> outline at the top). This would allow the user the convenience of using
> the outline to jump directly to the desired information while
> maintaining the option of printing the entire piece easily for future
> reference.
>
> It is entirely up to the material being presented, the audience being
> presented to, and most importantly, how the audience is going to use it.

-=-=-=-=-=-SNIP-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-SNIP-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-SNIP-=-=-=-=-=-=

Certainly most of us will agree that no ONE method is the BEST method. Still,
sometimes we just need to be reminded. Thanks Jason.

--
Keith Wolfe
keith -at- merge -dot- com

Associate Technical Writer