Re: Framemaker Difficulties

Subject: Re: Framemaker Difficulties
From: David Chisma <chisma -at- C031 -dot- AONE -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 21:00:13 +1000

Dave Chisma wrote:

What I'd like to know is how you managed to get a 32 MB Word file to
run? My PC falls over with Word files bigger than about 4 MB.

When we migrated from Word to Frame, one thing I did (as much as
possible) was to import graphics files by reference, instead of copying
the files into the document.

If I didn't have a graphics file to begin with (except for a picture in
a Word doc) I had to create files by copying the image from Word into
CorelDraw, and then exporting the file as a wmf, tif, or jpg file.

The result is that a typical book might consist of a dozen or so
FrameMaker files and 100's of referenced graphics files. But the
important thing is that no single FrameMaker file is vey large (less
than 100 KB).

Cheers, Dave Chisma
chisma -at- c031 -dot- aone -dot- net -dot- au

Deborah Ward wrote:

> We have created a set of training manuals in Word 6/7 (in Windows 95)
> and are now in the process of migrating them to Framemaker 5.0. The
> manuals are split into sections, which are then split into documents.
> They are pretty meaty, with clip art, scans, graphics, and text, and
> range in size from 300KB to 32MB. We thought Framemaker would be more
> stable than Word, but we are continuing to have crashes, lock-ups, and
>
> the like.
>
> We are running PC's with 64MB RAM, 2GB+ hard drives, and Pentium 166
> processors.
>
> Anyone else having problems? Any suggestions for improving
> performance,
> either on different software, different platform?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Deborah Ward
> dward -at- harcourts -dot- co -dot- nz

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=