Technical Writing Tips

Subject: Technical Writing Tips
From: Douglas Max <dmax -at- BELLATLANTIC -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 14:20:23 -0400

I've not received as many contributions as I'd expected based on the
flurry of e-mails I received on proofreading/editing tips...therefore
I'll make the request again...just a little broader.

If you have any tips that you'd like to share with your tech writing
colleagues, please forward them to me, I'll compile and return to the
list.

So far, my favorites:
* Give SME's brownies to get them on your good side!
* Look for the "obvious question" with a not so obvious answer
* Remember that when the document works transparently (the user
gets the information without being quite aware of using the
documentation) you win!
* Think Of The Reader
* Know your audience
* Don't think of what you're writing as "technical" documentation
as you write it
* Use a graphic to nail down the idea
* Use action headings (i,e; Instead of "The Add Feature", use
"Adding a Thingamabob"

If this is any indication of what you're able to contribute, I know the
list will prove very valuable to us all.

So, please let your thoughts, your tips take wing!

Doug Max

--

LR Communication Systems, Inc. http://www.LRcom.com
139 Dogwood Lane

Training in business writing and presentation skills. Seminars, distance
learning/correspondence programs with personal feedback. Online options.
Editing services. Founded in 1969.

E-mail for business: mail -at- LRcom -dot- com
personal: dmax -at- bellatlantic -dot- net

voice @ Work (908) 464-1231
fax (908) 464-1350

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=