On-Line Help project--sorting it out

Subject: On-Line Help project--sorting it out
From: "Hilary J. Harris" <hilaryh -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 10:27:55 -0700

My client just asked to switch from a WinHelp system to an on-line Help
system. I'm new to developing Help systems -- learning (and using) RH but
know even less about on-line Help! The client wants their software Help
system placed on-line so users can have it 'available' to them
individually. They will provide access (for me) to their file server via
the internet and MS virtual private networking. The message received from
the client asks that the MSWord documentation be converted to HTML,
with a suggestion to use Word or MSFrontPage. In my humble knowledge, I
know the HTML conversion can be done this way, but having a Help system
requires another major step, yes? Don't know anything about FrontPage
capabilities and features but don't think it's designed to create on-line
Help systems.

1. Is 'Net Help' the same as HTML help? Is 'On-line Help' the proper term
used to describe a 'generic' HTML-based Help system (somewhere in the
cobwebs of my brain, am thinking that Net Help is Netscape's version of
on-line Help). From a user standpoint, wouldn't it be best to provide a
generic Help system that could be fully functional if the end user has
either Netscape or IE for a browser?

2.If MS HTML Help requires IE4 for full functionality, does this mean
that if a user has Netscape as a browser, that he/she won't get full
functionality? Also, am assuming that any files produced in IE3.02 can be
viewed with IE4, yes?

3. Just so I'm armed to make a case for the client, do you know whether
FrontPage provides Help system features like TofC? Maybe what I'm asking
is: what is FrontPage truly designed for--limitations? (like best for Web
page creation but not for Help)?

4. (more case-arming for my client) Do screen shot types of graphics
import well into FrontPage, or does RH HTML Help provide more flexibility
(i.e. do a better job) with graphics?

5. Does any on-line Help tool on the market provide the same shipping
format as, say RH winhelp where it can ship as a single Help file?

6. How would you approach this if you were new to Help development like
me --ie. what on-line help development tool would you pick to create
web-based help (intuitive, quick learning curve, easy to use, etc.)?

7. Any other important issues about creating a HTML-based system to ask
the client?

questions --thanx so much for your patience!!

Hilary Harris
WriteWorks
hilaryh -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=