Re: Types of TWs

Subject: Re: Types of TWs
From: "Nina L. Panzica" <panin -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 11:21:00 -0400

At 04:12 PM 8/11/98 -0400, Lisa Comeau wrote:

>Personally, I'm very interested in perspectives from people who write
documents that have _nothing_ to do with computer hardware/software. Yes, I
write end-user instructional manuals re: software, but my "bigger" job is
instructing and creating standards and proposals, which is another facet of
the "diamond in the rough" that is our profession.

>So speak out, you non-computer types. I for one would be happy to "listen".

I guess I'm a computer type because most of my contracts have involved
documenting computer software or software-hardware systems, but I've also
had a number of contracts over the years in which I wrote documentation
that had nothing to do with computers. Here's the list:

1. Compiled parts manuals for hospital medical instruments.

2. Wrote white papers and created presentations for a start-up
corporate-wide business re-engineering project.

3. Edited instruction booklets for business telephone systems roughly
translated from the Japanese by people who speak English as a second
language and made them comprehensible to English speakers.

4. Wrote sales training courses in "soft" subjects like coaching in
customer service and sales departments.

5. Created an intranet Web course on how to describe the features of a
voice-mail system to potential customers.

Also, I once was offered the opportunity to write a CBT course on the
subject of anchoring guy wires for utility poles.

I think that's all the non-computer contracts.

Regards,
Nina P.

Nina Panzica
Masterpiece Media, Inc.
(404) 237-7889
Can't reach me at the above number? Try my pager:
404-596-7889

Email: mailto:panin -at- mindspring -dot- com
Home Page: http://www.mindspring.com/~panin/

Links to Other Technical Writers:
http://www.mindspring.com/~panin/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=