Help topics don't appear as designed

Subject: Help topics don't appear as designed
From: Tom Herme <therme -at- NVBELL -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:47:27 -0700

This message cross-posted to Techwr-L and Winhlp-L.

I've asked this question before but never received a satisfactory
response.

My Winhelp 4 project has three secondary windows defined; I don't use
the Main window definition. The problem is that within the program (a
FoxPro design) when the user clicks F1/Help button, topics appear in a
main help window.

To have topics appear in the windows I've designed, again only secondary
windows, the user must open a topic (as described above) and then click
the Help Topics button. From that point forward in the current session
all topics appear in the windows I've set, including those accessed from
the Index/Find tabs.

This is extremely annoying especially when a user sees a procedural help
topic appearing in this huge main help window, rather than in the
secondary window I've defined for it.

By the way, the developers only map the highest level topic to a form (a
set of related tabbed pages) in the program. Users have to drill down
from there. Also, they only use FoxPro's SET_HELP_TO and SET_TOPIC_TO
statements. They don't use WinHelp API calls, nor do they set
field-level help.

I'd appreciate some help with this problem, even if it's only for my
benefit (although I'd like to talk the developers into implementing the
Help project the way I've designed it).

Thanks much.
--
Tom Herme
home mailto://therme -at- nvbell -dot- net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=