Follow-up (Re: JOB POSTING: Senior TW (staff), QA/Word 97; Santa Monica, CA)

Subject: Follow-up (Re: JOB POSTING: Senior TW (staff), QA/Word 97; Santa Monica, CA)
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 11:42:59 EDT

Since I've had off-line requests for more info, let me add a few facts to the
original posting:

- The job will DEFINITELY be on-site (only)
- Planned documents at this point are functional/technical specs, procedures,
guides, some on-line (HTML) help; however I'd expect that to evolve
- This person may end up doing work for other departments as well (it's not a
big company.)

I'm currently doing all the writing (on contract), mainly for Operations and
Software Development, as needed. But I'm always ready to crank out other
things as needed.

As often happens on my projects, I've been offered a staff job. As always
happens, I've declined. However, GeoCities is a VERY nice place to work -
lots of young, positive, professional people, with a few weathered old hands
to add perspective.

Now, in response to the following:
In a message dated 98-08-13 11:11:25 EDT, jdavid -at- FARABI -dot- COM writes:

<< Did the last technical writer (Goddess rest his soul) not have these? If
this is an indication of what the working environment is going to be like,
I'm afraid. Very afraid.

Possible translation of qualifications:

1. Really means: The developers don't have time (or desire) to talk to the
writer.
2. Really means: The deadlines are impossible without alien technology.
3. Really means: No matter how badly you are treated, don't talk back. In
fact, you should thank them for their harshness. It builds character. >>

Quite simply, people ARE very busy. Even those who are very committed to the
idea of documentation don't have much time to do anything about it. No one's
surly at all - they just have to struggle to provide time. And they will.
But the writer has to take the initiative in staying towards the top of their
stacks.

The only reason I added 'tact' as a requirement was to counter-balance the
need for persistence. Being persistent without being obnoxious is something
of an art - one I've found necessary on most TW projects, not just this one.

The 'last technical writer' is me, and I'm perfectly happy with them, as they
are with me. I just don't want a staff job.

Any questions?
Jim Chevallier
North Hollwood
== TW page - http://members.aol.com/jimcheval/twone.htm