Re: Standard definitions for GUI buttons

Subject: Re: Standard definitions for GUI buttons
From: Robert Barlow-Busch <bob -at- SONYCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:22:46 +0200

I checked my handy reference, "The Windows Interface
Guidelines for Software Design" by Microsoft Press. Here is
what it says about command buttons, in general:

"When the user chooses a command button with mouse button 1
. . . the command associated with the button is carried out.
. . . The command button's label represents the action the
button starts." (p. 142)

Ah, so _that's_ how buttons work!

In the glossary, the term "Apply" is defined: "To commit a
set of changes or pending transactions made in a secondary
window, typically without closing that window." The term
"Close" is defined: "To remove a window." OK is not defined,
but I believe it typically combines the Apply and Close
operations -- commit the changes and close the window.
Cancel means close the window and do not commit the changes.

Hope this helps,

Robert Barlow-Busch

bob -at- sonycom -dot- com
Sony Platform Software Development Center
Brussels, Belgium

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=