Re: Getting Started in Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Getting Started in Technical Writing
From: "J. Fraser" <tekwrite -at- ISTAR -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 13:17:00 -0300

Hmmm... All these years, I thought everyone *planned* to be a Technical
Writer (ha!).

Long ago and far away, I started working as a secretary for an oil
company. Then an opening came up as a computer operator at the same
company, so I moved to the Computer Room. I was hanging out a lot with
programmers and such, and thought, "Gee, I could do this". So, I went
back to school for my degree in Computer Science.

That's when the seed was planted. When we were working on projects, I
got elected to do the manuals and presentations because no one else
wanted to write or prepare graphics. Fine by me! That's when I started
thinking that being a technical writer would be "pretty neat". But I
really didn't know of any companies using TWs, I didn't know any TWs,
and I had no idea how to go about becoming a TW. So I trudged along the
path to being a programmer.

Turns out, I don't like programming and I realized that I really don't
have the appropriate talent for it. I watched other people write code
that could do in 20 lines what my code did in a 100 lines! Yikes! Get me
outta here!

But I never regret for a moment getting that degree!!

My talents are in writing and using my creative abilities (always were,
just never listened to my instincts/inner child/call-it-what-you-will!).
Anyway, from then on, I took every opportunity to write some small
manuals, produce newsletters, edit everything I could get my hands on,
and the rest is history. I even took a couple short-term jobs
as--gulp!--a word processor again as a way to get more editing
experience and I wanted some experience in another industry
(environmental--it was very interesting, but I couldn't convince anyone
they needed a writer/editor). That was okay, though, because I realized
that I missed the software industry.

I finally got my first bona fide technical writing job for a software
maintenance and development company. (I had one previous TW job, but
spent more time programming and designing interface graphics. That was
okay and kinda fun, but I still wanted to write.) I worked with a great
bunch of technical writers at the "real" job and learned so much it
amazed me (writing and editing manuals and online help, working with
developers designing interfaces, working on newsletters, performing
reviews, developing standards, learning QA processes, and so much more.)

Two years ago, I finally to the plunge to freelance telecommuter. It's
been a somewhat rocky road (telecommuting still isn't the hot ticket
it's hyped to be--at least not yet), but things are looking up these
days. I love my work! I wouldn't change my career right now for
anything!

--
J. L. Fraser, B.Sc.
Technical Writer