Jobs in Chicago area?

Subject: Jobs in Chicago area?
From: WordWriter <wordwriter -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 07:54:50 -0500

I read this listserv on another account normally, but today it's time to
post something important. I am starting to look for a new job. I have a
lot of reasons to do so, but primarily I want to be in a position where the
tech writing department is more than one person (me). However, I'm at a
loss as to how to go about my search. My current job, which is my first as
a technical writer, was one that came about a lot more through luck than
anything else. Now, with just over a year of experience under my belt, I'm
starting to look elsewhere, and I hope that this listserv can point me in
the right direction.

Basically, I'd like to find a position in or around Chicago where I could
work with at least one other technical writer. Thus far, I've only done
software documentation, but I've gone through two versions in my year, and
feel I'm up for more challenge. I've used Doc-To-Help to create both the
printed and online help, but I imagine I could learn RoboHelp or ForeHelp
relatively quickly.

So far, I've seen job listings around for technical writers with more than
two years experience - and I don't have that yet and it won't matter in my
current position. It's not likely that I'll learn much more about
technical writing in the next year in my current job, and being the sole
writer means I have to stumble through most of the time on larger issues.
I think being around other collegues would help as I get farther into my
career - I love to write, and I love to help people understand complex
technical issues.

Does anyone out there have any ideas on what to do, or where to go? While
leads on jobs would be great - especially ones that take into account one
year of technical writing experience and not group people with one year of
experience in with people with none - I'd also like some advice on where to
turn, what to look for, etc. Starting out in a career and life is
difficult, and I want to make sure that I'm at least heading down the
correct path, even if it isn't the most direct route to take.

Thanks.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=