Re: FWD: Setting Doc Requirements for Developers

Subject: Re: FWD: Setting Doc Requirements for Developers
From: Sharon Burton <sharonburton -at- EMAIL -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 14:06:48 -0700

Sounds like a job for JoAnn Hackos - Managing your Documentation Projects!
Wiley and Sons.

In all seriousness, get your hands on this book. It will explain about
getting management to buy in, creating doc and project plans, getting
everyone to buy in to the plans, outlines and getting the developers to
understand that the information depends on them, etc. Attending meetings
early and often, offer to be keeper of the notes for the meeting - a task no
one likes but makes you a central person in the information disbursement
process. A freeze GUI date that means something, a central list of feature
changes/additions, etc. Involving tech support in the process, and many
other things.

BTW - if your manager or their manager aren't upset about this state of
affairs, you really have a battle on your hands. It is a matter of training
and you must have management behind you all the way or it will never work.
Trust me on this, I have been here too many times.

sharon

Sharon Burton
Anthrobytes Consulting
Home of RoboNEWS(tm), the unofficial RoboHELP newsletter
www.anthrobytes.com
Check out www.WinHelp.net!