Re: Conceit, or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Competition

Subject: Re: Conceit, or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Competition
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <leonard -dot- porrello -at- COMPAQ -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 15:56:57 -0500

Mark,

If you exclude from the category "training" the following, I have no
contention with what you say:

Grammar books
Techwriting books
Impromptu feedback from peers
Feedback from editors

Being very self-motivated, I see these things as training materials, so I'd
lump them in with training. Regardless of whether I listen to someone's
spoken voice or their written voice, it is someone's voice to which I listen
(though I prefer written "voice" as I can read most things that I need for
my job much more quickly than anyone can speak to me about them).

Learning to communicate in writing is far more complicated than, say,
learning an application or how to use a widget. In your posting, you don't
seem to discern between the two. Recall that we all learned how to write
through "training" (though at the time it was called elementary school). And
you can be anything that Shakespeare took "training" from the Italians.

Leonard Porrello
Compaq, Telecom Division
Pubs, Omaha
402.384.7390