Question about LEDs

Subject: Question about LEDs
From: "Mason, Catheryn" <CMason -at- INFINITEC-COM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 12:32:35 -0500

Hi folks:
I'm writing a data sheet about an electronic component with LEDs that
indicate when system alarms have been received. I've never before
written about LEDs, and would appreciate any advice about the best word
to use for a description such as the one below. (I need to supply a list
of LEDs and their functions.)

"CRIT: Critical Alarm indicator - will display red when the system has
received a critical alarm." Does the LED display, or show, or ... ?
Or could I work around this awkward construction by simply saying "if
red, the system has received a critical alarm," or perhaps "when lit
..." and forego mention of the color. Could those of you who write
about LEDs give me the benefit of your experience?

A few additional comments on other threads below:
that I am not a software writer either.
right. If these workers call themselves Word Processors, why doesn't
everyone else? And can you imagine using "the documentation boys" to
refer to men? Or, say, the "supply boys" or the "janitorial boys" or the
"mail room boys"? This diminutive terminology for an adult working
person of either gender is unacceptable, and for good reason.

Catheryn Mason
Technical Writer
Cmason -at- infinitec-com -dot- com
(918) 481-5300 ext. 280