Re: HR versus Tech writing

Subject: Re: HR versus Tech writing
From: Mark Baker <mbaker -at- OMNIMARK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 16:16:28 -0400

Marie McHarry wrote:

>If you are trying to write a manual to explain how a
>device works, it actually helps if you don't have the foggiest idea about
it.
>I have absolutely no background in electronics, but I can sit down with
>engineers who've designed a product and get them to tell me what I need to
>know to make it work--and then write a manual for the non techies who are
>actually going to be using it.

You need to be a little careful here. You don't have to know how to build
something in order to document it, but you do need to know how to use it.
While consumer electronics assume little prior knowledge or skill, this is
not true of all products. I require the writers I hire to have a mastery of
at least one programming language. Why? Because our main product is a
programming language. If you don't program you can't document a programming
language.

The knowledge level required of a technical writer is not determined by the
knowledge level of the developer, but by the knowledge level of the user --
which may be very high, and very technical.

---
Mark Baker
Manager, Corporate Communications
OmniMark Technologies Corporation