ADMIN: Re: Types of TWs

Subject: ADMIN: Re: Types of TWs
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 11:35:57 -0600

>I'm glad Jane stated this. Having been a lurker on this list for about 10
>days, I feel that I've stepped into the wrong pew. Since I first took up
>desktop publishing (including writing & editing) more than 10 years ago, I've
>considered myself a technical writer. Now I mostly do writing and editing in
>the following fields: engineering, nuclear, geological, and medical. I've also
>written a couple of manuals for electronic products. This list appears to be
>geared solely to documentation of computer software and hardware. Is this what
>most people think of when they think of technical writing?
<SNIP>
>Anyway, if anyone can suggest a different list devoted to writing on technical
>or scientific topics, I would be grateful. And now I return to my den.
<SNIP>

I say this fairly often, but it doesn't seem to take, so I'll
try it again.

This list is for discussion of all technical communication issues.

It's NOT strictly for computer/software documentation.

It's for ALL TECHNICAL COMMUNICATION ISSUES. If you want to
talk about something that's not currently being addressed,
send a message to the list about something you DO want to
talk about. Personally, I'd prefer to see more about hardware
docs, scientific and medical writing, business writing, and related
topics, but (nothing personal here) most of the people who
email me offline to complain about the computer "bias" of this
list do not actually take any steps to discuss the topics they
prefer on the list. I dunno why.

Finally, in case I wasn't quite clear... any topics related to
technical communication (broadly defined) are just fine,
including medical, scientific, engineering, business or other
types of professional communication.

Frustrated,
Eric

* Eric J. Ray, ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com, http://www.raycomm.com/
* _HTML 4 for Dummies Quick Reference_, and others.
* See our overhauled Web site at http://www.raycomm.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=