Re: The Tools Tech Writers Use

Subject: Re: The Tools Tech Writers Use
From: "Rebecca P. Rachmany" <purple -at- NETMEDIA -dot- NET -dot- IL>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 07:02:17 +0300

> As for MSW, those using it for book production--or even as a
> word processor--rarely seem to do so with enthusiasm.
> In this thread, for example, those defending Word offer
> a raft of practical benefits-in a tone that (to my ears) hints
> of resignation, or coercion, but not heartfelt praise. Many professional
>
> technical writers are lukewarm about Word-a conspicuous
> and noteworthy fact, given its momentum and marketshare.

I haven't defended Word in this thread because the Word-Frame debate always
gets carried away. I use Word for all sizes and shapes of documents, and I
am very happy with it. I am not going to give it a huge, raving review. On
the other hand, I am not going to give Frame a huge, raving review, either.
I have used both Word and Frame, and neither of them deserve anything more
than a "satisfactory" grade for document development.

What I can recommend warmly is to become an expert in whatever tool you are
using. RTFM and join any newsgroup or mailing list on the tool. Get to know
every trick you can and use the tool properly. I have seen documentation
professionals make royal mess of documents in both Word and Frame. If you
are using the tool right, either one will give you great power. If you are
using the tool wrong, it doesn't matter which one you use, because your
frustration level will be high and you will waste a lot of time.

Rebecca Rachmany
General Manager
TECH-TAV technical and end-user documentation
PO Box 2419 Tel Aviv 61024
info -at- tech-tav -dot- com
972-3-6090416
http://www.tech-tav.com