Re: Word pictures -- more

Subject: Re: Word pictures -- more
From: Dave Neufeld <Dave_Neufeld -at- SPECTRUMSIGNAL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 11:50:47 -0700

Hi Patricia,

Been there, done that...

I use PDFs to salvage vector graphics from unsupported and uncooperative
formats to Freehand. You could probably do the same with Illustrator. It's
not perfect, but it gives you something. It assumes,of course, that you can
produce PDFs using Adobe Acrobat Distiller. If not, you may also be able do
this by printing to a PostScript file. Here goes:

1. Open the Word document containing the Word picture you wish to export,
and go to that page.

2. Ensure that you've selected your Adobe Distiller as the printer
destination. (If you don't have Distiller, select a generic PostScript
printer driver and select Print to File. Avoid using an HP PS printer driver
because not all PostScript filters will read their output.)

3. Print the page containing the graphic to create a PDF (or PS) file of
that page.

4. Open Illustrator and import the PDF (or PS) file. I'm assuming that your
version of Illustrator can import PDFs and PS files.

5. Voila. It should be there in a form you can edit and re-export in
whatever format you wish.

HINTS:
- Before creating the PDF or PS file from Word, open the graphic in in Word
Picture and change all the fonts used to their PostScript equivalents (such
as Arial to Helvetica). This MAY avoid problems when Illustrator opens the
files.
- I prefer using PDFs to using PS because Acrobat tends to give cleaner
results.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=