Re: Color printing from PDF files

Subject: Re: Color printing from PDF files
From: John Bell <jbell -at- PARAGREN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 14:34:57 -0400

Sharon Burton asked:
> My question to all the printing gurus is - what did he do to my file when
he
> printed it and why are these results so very wrong? And why was it done
> correctly by another printer and this guy swears that it can't be done?

Judging from your description of the printed images it sounds like the
separations
are wrong. First off: Is he printing this using a four-color process, or are
you using
spot colors for your Pantone tints? If you have only a few colors you'll
need to have
separations made for each spot color. I don't know if this is supported in
PDF files.
You may want to create a separate PDF for each spot color.

If you have many colors (such as photographs, tone art, and so on) the only
way you
can get the colors right is to use a color management tool (there are many)
and get a
copy of his ColorSync Profile for his printer/ink/paper combination. Also,
make sure you
get a copy of the latest version of ColorSync (V2.5). It's free, so why not
get the newest.

--- John Bell
jbell -at- paragren -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=