The Septapartist Myth

Subject: The Septapartist Myth
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <mark -at- MEMCO -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 16:16:57 +0300

Recently on another e-mail list, Mark Halpern of Siebel Systems
wrote in to dispel the idea that a numbered list should ideally
consist of 7 +/-2 items.

The source of the idea, he says, is a much-misunderstood
psychology paper by George Miller. Mark goes on:

I did a little search to see if George Miller, author of the
classic psychology paper, "The Magical Number Seven..." was
still with us. To my delight, he is -- very much so. I asked
him about the relevance of his findings to rules about
how long a printed (or screen-displayed) list should be, and
his answer, in short, was 'not at all'; his exact words were:

But the point was that 7 was a
limit for the discrimination of unidimensional stimuli
(pitches, loudnesses, brightnesses, etc.) and also a limit
for immediate recall, neither of which has anything to do
with a person's capacity to comprehend printed text ...

The complete Halpern/Miller dialog is available from me
( mailto:mark -at- memco -dot- co -dot- il ).

And Mark H. says that Miller's paper is available online, at

http://www.well.com/user/smailin/miller.html

"In the meantime," writes Mark H., "let the truth ring out across
this great land, and indeed the great globe itself: no findings
of psychology or any other science have established, or even
suggested, that printed lists or procedures should be
limited to 7, 9, or any other number of steps."

- Mark L. Levinson - Memco Ltd. - Wallenberg 24 - 69719 Tel Aviv
- work: mark -at- memco -dot- co -dot- il / tel. +972-3-6450049 / fax +972-3-6450001
- home: nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il / tel. +972-9-9552411 or 9555720
Sometimes I feel like a Slinky on the escalator of life.
- Patrick Nolan

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=