Re: Bad employment situation advice needed

Subject: Re: Bad employment situation advice needed
From: Sharon Key <sharon -at- DRA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 08:10:18 -0500

I guess it just depends on how truly miserable you are. I'm no
lawyer but I suspect if you signed an agreement making you liable for
relocation costs, I guess they could take you to court to recover the funds.
Was this a substantial amount of money? Would it be worth the time for the
company to take you to court? Would you want it to go that far?

Here's my experience with a similar situation. A former employer
had a strange vacation policy. During the first year of employment, you
could take 5 days of unearned vacation. After your first anniversary, you
were given two weeks earned vacation. If you left the company before your
second anniversary date, you were required to pay back the five days of
unearned vacation you received the first year. Without going into a long
and involved story, I left this job three days after my first anniversary
date. I ended up not having to pay back the five days I took during the
first year, but it took several calls to the human resources department to
make this happen.

Sharon Key
Data Research Associates
St. Louis, MO