Re: Concurrent writing and revision

Subject: Re: Concurrent writing and revision
From: Barry Kieffer <barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:00:44 -0700

Sharon Burton wrote,

<snip>
> Programmers were fired in part because
> they were not good about reviewing their parts of the manuals.
>
> The writers
> opinions were sought out about the interface and our opinions were taken
> seriously. If it was really hard to document, it was probably poorly
> designed. What can we do about that? How can we redesign it to make it
> work
> better?

I remember when I was in this situation!

The software engineers would approach me and ask me, a lowly technical
writer, how the user interface should be designed.

The program manager told me she had extra money in the budget if I needed it
for documentation.

I was glowing in my glory!

Then I awoke to my cat licking my face.

It had all been a dream...