Re: Two's Complement

Subject: Re: Two's Complement
From: George Mena <George -dot- Mena -at- ESSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 14:28:14 -0700

This is a definite YES on the apostrophe.

Two's complement applies to the most popular method of subtracting
binary numbers used by computers, according to "Microprocessors:
Principles, Programming and Interfacing", by Kenneth Muchow and Bill R.
Deem, Reston Publishing Co. (Prentice-Hall), copyright 1983, ISBN
0-8359-4383-6 (ref: pg. 26, section 2.6.2, if you can still find the
book.). At the time of publication, both Muchow and Deem were teaching
at San Jose City College, CA.

One's complement, Eight's Complement and Sixteen's Complement are also
valid subtraction methods briefly mentioned in the book. One's
complement functions are carried out by circuits called inverters. All
of the complements relate to mathematical operations for binary numbers.

George

[George Mena] snip