Re: TWs and web-based resumes

Subject: Re: TWs and web-based resumes
From: Denise Fritch <dfritch -at- INTELLICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 13:01:32 -0700

Hi Jane,

>* Have you had better luck with putting them on your own site or on
>someone else's site? If you post it on your own site, do you use it as a
>link to your home page or do you have a separate (non-linked) site for
>your resume?

I have my resume posted on my personal web site. The resume is two levels
below the home page, under the first level heading of Careers.

>* When you put it "out there" do you format it nicely, do you post it as
>a pdf file, or do you use a straight text/ASCII format? If you do the
>latter, do you make a formatted copy available for downloading?

The resume is in standard html formatting, using tables without borders.
The resume converts nicely from Word to FrontPage with little extra
correcting. I've also been told that the formatted html allows the resume
to be easily printed.

>* If you post it on a site other than your own, which sites have used
>with the best results? What's realistic in terms of time for response
>and number of responses?

While the daily site statistics show that several people have visited the
resume page through searches on Tech Writer, none of the calls I've
received have specifically mentioned having already visited the site.
Having the resume online, and giving an agency rep the url to the specific
page, is much quicker than saying I'll fax or email that rep a copy of my
resume when I arrive home. The rep can view the web page while we are
talking.

>* Do you post your home phone and address? Has this proven to be a
>security issue?

I give neither my home address or home phone in my web based resume.
Agencies with whom I've spoken tell me that they remove that information
when passing a resume on to a hiring manager. Apparently the agencies
prefer to have more direct control. The resume only includes my office
phone number.

Best,

Denise L. Fritch