Re: always look for a new job?

Subject: Re: always look for a new job?
From: Tom Campbell <tcampbell -at- WEATHER -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:14:07 -0400

I'm not constantly searching for my next job. I don't have the time, the energy, or the inclination! But I do try to keep up with the local market, and I invest a little time whenever necessary to make sure my resume is up to date.

A few months ago, after reading "Making Money in Technical Writing" by Peter Kent, I launched a job search that enabled me to land a job that I really wanted, and significantly increase my pay rate in the process. While doing this, I laid the ground work for years of employment to come by getting into the databases and file folders of a lot of technical service agencies whose clients need good tech writers from time to time. Four months later, with no further effort on my part, I'm still getting at least a call every other day.

If you live in an area where there is a fair amount of technical work going on, and if you can demonstrate that you have good skills and experience, you really shouldn't have to worry about having work (even if you already have one baby and another one due in <100 days). Demand for competent technical writers is still outpacing the supply. Put your resume on line and send it to technical service agencies, and you should start getting some calls. And join your local STC chapter and expand your network.

I also think it's important to have the attitude that you work for yourself, and that "You, Inc." strive to do the best job you can for the company that's currently employing you. Don't let the false security of company benefits, paid vacation & sick time, etc., keep you in a job where you don't want to stay.

Tom Campbell