Re: Font questions, combining styles

Subject: Re: Font questions, combining styles
From: Janet Valade <janetv -at- MAIL -dot- SYSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 09:10:57 -0700

> In the discussion of serif and sans serif fonts, Jane Bergen writes:
> <<Just an FYI: at my company, we combine the two styles very
> effectively.
> My text is 10 pt Palatino but filenames, function names, titles of
> dialogs, menu names, etc. are in 9 pt bold Arial. Everyone here really,
> really likes this look and so do our customers.>>
>
> How common is this combined styles formatting?

Actually, I do something very similar. I use Palatino at 11. I use bold
within the text when I refer to a command or command option. E.g. the
*speed* command sets the port to the specified speed. If you use the *i*
option, the speed will be set immediately, rather than when the system
reboots..

I use Arial for headings. I also use Arial for the lines that show the
command line syntax of commands. This makes them just slightly different so
they stand out a little for those users who are skimming to find the syntax.
E.g.,
To set the speed, enter:

set speed 3-5 9600 i

The set speed line is in Arial.

I probably do this because this is the way I use manuals. I skim for a
relevant example. I rarely read the text, unless something isn't working
the way I am SURE it should work.

Janet
----
Janet Valade,
Technical Writer, Systech Corporation, San Diego, CA
mailto:janetv -at- systech -dot- com
For every complex situation, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and
wrong.

Henry Louis Mencken