Re: Anyone ever attend an ACM SIGDOC Conference?

Subject: Re: Anyone ever attend an ACM SIGDOC Conference?
From: Sean McFerren <smcferre -at- CSC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 08:46:13 -0500

---------------------- Forwarded by Sean T McFerren/TMG/CSC on 07/29/98 08:43 AM
---------------------------

jfraser -at- glinx -dot- com on 07/27/98 02:16:25 PM

To: Sean T McFerren/TMG/CSC
cc:

Hi, Sorry I didn't respond sooner... was at a client site until Friday
p.m. Anyway, I attended an ACM conference in Banff in '94. I enjoyed it
and got some good information out of it. There was some good up-to-date
online help info shared, info about collaboration (tech writer on the
development team [I wound up writing an article about this for a
internal newsletter]), etc. The only thing I can say is stay tuned to
what info will be presented, what workshops/tutorials will be held, etc.
that hold particular INTEREST FOR YOU! Don't waste time and money if the
lectures, etc. aren't in your area of interest or potential interest
with respect to upcoming projects. (i.e., consider cost (flight, hotel,
etc.) versus benefit)
BTW, I used to belong to the ACM SIGDOC, but found the regular journals
too "academic" and "researchy" ( ;-) yeah, I know... not a word!).
However the conference was a pleasant surprise with fairly useful info.
(I prefer STC journals as they provide more practical information.)
Good luck!
--
J. L. Fraser, B.Sc.
Technical Writer