Winhelp 4 Browse sequence problem

Subject: Winhelp 4 Browse sequence problem
From: Kaleem Khan <kkhan -at- CHANNELWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:39:35 -0400

Hi everyone,

I was using Doc-to-Help v2.0 ("integrates" with MS Word97) to create a
Winhelp file for Win95/98. For a whole number of reasons, primarily the
cumulative effect of D2H and Word97 bugs, we decided to stop using D2H and I
am now marking up and compiling the files manually.

A problem arose with the browse sequencing. Two newly added sections were
not appearing in the browse sequence, although one could access them from
the Contents menu. In essence, they were disconnected from the main sequence
and existed as "bubbles" of information that could be accessed from only one
place int he file, and could be browsed internally.

After re-tagging and re-compiling, the first of the two sections was
browsable and the second stubbornly refuses to do as the first section does.

The error that the compiler spits out is "HC3071: Warning: topic #xx of
P:\directory\helpfile.rtf : One or more browse sequences set, but browse
buttons are not enabled in any window."

I haven't found anything that adequately addresses this specific problem on
the 'Net or in the TECHWR-L archives, and I have tried everything I can
think of from redoing the context strings to editing the .HPJ file directly.
Nothing seems to work and even the developers here are stumped.

Time is an issue since several thousand CDs are being pressed this week and
the help file is a requirement. Has anyone else come across this problem and
were you able to find a solution without starting from scratch?

Thanks,

KW Khan
kkhan -at- channelware -dot- com