Scrounging for PCs

Subject: Scrounging for PCs
From: "George F. Hayhoe" <george -at- GHAYHOE -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 12:20:01 -0400

Anonymous asked how common it was for the offices of
laid-off employees to be sacked for PCs and other goodies. I
have a funny story to share in this regard.

Several years back, I left a long-time job with a wonderful
employer, excellent salary and benefits, and really fine
colleagues because the company made me a buy-out offer I
couldn't refuse. I gave my notice 60 days in advance of my
last day, so I had plenty of time to finish up several
projects. I took vacation for the week prior to my final day
to attend the STC Annual Conference. On the day I returned,
I had planned to print out the deliverables for those
projects prior to hitting the medical department and HR for
outprocessing.

When I arrived at my cube that morning, lo and behold, it
had been sacked. No sign of "my" PC or any of the other
office furnishings. Not a problem, I thought. Sine the files
I needed were on the server; I could just log on from
another machine. Wrong. My access privileges for the network
had already been revoked.

I called my customers, gave them the locations of the files
that needed to be printed, and whistled while I walked to my
exit physical.

--George Hayhoe (george -at- ghayhoe -dot- com)

George Hayhoe Associates
Voice: +1 (803) 642-2156
Fax: +1 (803) 642-9325
http://www.ghayhoe.com

Winner
APEX '98 Award for Publication Excellence

Best of Show Winner
Carolina Foothills/South Carolina STC Chapters
1997-98 Technical Publications Competition