Re: Contracting and project queries

Subject: Re: Contracting and project queries
From: John Posada <posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 15:39:15 -0400

> 2. On a semi-related note, I've worked for the same contract agency for a
> few years, but they haven't actually found a job for me in a long time.

Then you haven't worked for the same agency for a long time. You did work
for them when you were getting your paychecks from them.

When I'm coming to the end of a contract, I tell the encumbant agency that
they are getting first crack at placing me, and I give them about 1 week
head start to find me a position before I send out my notice of
availability. If they have an inhand position for me to go to, this gives
them the opportunity to present it. However, if they don't have one inhand
and are simply going to find me one like everyone else, then they have the
same opporrtunity as everyone else. Granted, with all else being equal, the
present agency would win in a tie, but there is never a tie.

> Since I have had contacts for jobs in the past, which I've passed along to
> them, they have this impression that I can just go out and find something
> on

I still do this with a prior agency I was very happy with (Hi Wayne/Dave).
However, in all fairness, I also pass the same lead to my current agency.

> my own whenever I need a new job. However, the job situation in this area
> is really tight, and I've come to realize that I really need referrals
> from
> my agency, which they are not providing. (This is assuming I leave my

They aren't your agency! They stopped being your agency when you stopped
collecting a paycheck from them

> present postion now rather than later.) I feel loyalty to my agency
> because
> they've done a good job for me in the past, but I'm wondering at what
> point

Like they say on Broadway....you're only as good as your last play.

John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global Network
-work http://www.faxsav.com -personal http://www.tdandw.com
-work mailto:posada -at- faxsav -dot- com -personal mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
-work phone: 732-906-2000 X2296 -home phone: 732-291-7811
My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for
them.

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,
see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable
words.", Goethe
"Say all you have to say in the fewest possible words, or your reader will
be sure to skip them; and in the plainest possible words or he will
certainly misunderstand them.", John Ruskin