Re: Layoffs and scrounging

Subject: Re: Layoffs and scrounging
From: Barry Kieffer <barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:41:41 -0700

> Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

> Hi Everyone,
<snip>
> Is it typical to redistribute equipment among the survivors? I'd really
> like to think we will be calling the others back. I'm not sure I would
> want
> to come back after a lay-off to find my desk marauded.

Greetings Anon,

To answer your question - You betcha!

When I worked for a large defence contractor (Singer Electronic Systems)
they went through the same thing - three rounds of layoffs.

When a person was laid off - and escorted out of the building by a guard -
five minuets after they were "gone" employees (my bad self included) were in
their freshly vacated office grabbing anything of value.

We grabbed monitors, keyboards, pencil cups, the better office chair, candy
out of the desk, the half box of tissues - you name it!

When a person is laid off everybody feels bad about it, (for 2 or 3 minuets
maybe) then it is grab the stuff that is better than yours!

Midnight Requisition Baby! It is the way to go!

Of course, I would never do that now...
(cancel that call to Tektronix security please)

Barry Kieffer
Technical Writer
(and all around good guy)