Re: Headers/footers - opinions wanted

Subject: Re: Headers/footers - opinions wanted
From: Scott Wahl <swahl -at- BRIDGEWATERSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 11:58:14 -0400

A few page layout guidelines to keep in mind:

Make sure there is sufficient white space both between the header and the top
of the page and between the header and the text body. You don't want the header
to interfere with the reader getting at the content. If you use a separator
line, you can keep the separation clear without as much white space.

Minimize the number of font types used -- fonts should enhance the reader's
understanding, not interfere. I recommend using the same font type for the
header/footer as you use for titles. A sans-serif font is best.

The page should be balanced. So if the header has text on both sides of the
page, so should the footer. Or you could have header text on the left side
only of the left page, right side only of the right page; the footer text
should match this. I wouldn't put a lot of text in the header and nothing in
the footer.

Hope this helps.

Scott