Re: Charge for Travel Time?

Subject: Re: Charge for Travel Time?
From: Ann Mackenzie <TekDocWis -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 10:11:06 EDT

In a message dated 98-07-23 05:16:59 EDT, Amrma Hakohen writes:

> If a contractor works mostly off-site
> should he/she charge for travel time
> to/from the site?

I charge only for travel over 1 hour a day, and state that in my contract. (I
also resist working on a client's site every day and coming in for visits more
than once a week :-)

> Here's another one:
> a) A firm for which I have done work in the
> past, has awarded me a new contract.
>
> b) The company's new policy is to have it's
> writers use a tool that is new in the market.
>
> QUES: Who pays for the learning time?

This one is harder. I think I would talk to my client about supplying me with
a copy of the software to install on my computer, and offer to spend up to 4
hours of my time learning it before charging for my time. The free software
should make up for the hours being donated, making a win-win situation for you
and your client.

The discussion of this question should make interesting reading on the list.

Cheers Annie
Ann Mackenzie: TekDocWis -at- aol -dot- com
TekDoc - Technical Documentation, Inc. in Milwaukee, WI, USA
Specializing in software, engineering, and policies & procedures.