Computer A+ reference trivia

Subject: Computer A+ reference trivia
From: John Nesbit <janesbit -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 16:59:03 PDT

This question from a colleage:
Attempting to "translate" some material from an Exam Prep book for A+
Certification for Computer Technician:

The context is hardware for computer networks

What is a "smart multistation access unit"? From the definitions found
a "multistation access unit" is the "central hub for
IBM-computer-station Token Ring networks". What does the "smart" do for
this term?

I told my frustrated colleague that I could possibly get a response
back from this list...If you are familiar with the term, it'd be
appreciated.

JN