Automating Documentation

Subject: Automating Documentation
From: "M. David Orr" <whitears -at- INTERACCESS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:45:00 -0500

Dave John asked about ways to automate documentation.

My consulting company created software for a client that required a high
degree of customization for each client. The tool is a Windows interface to
a Jet database that allows the manufacturer to store topics, procedures,
graphics, and instructor notes in a database organized by class of product,
product name, and model.

For example, if a company has configurable software with 100 total features,
but a customer only buys 35, our tool allows you to:

* store topics, procedures, and graphics about all 100 features in the
database
* pick from a list the topics, procedures, and graphics for the 35 features
the customer buys, and
* drop these procedures into a Word template, thus creating custom
documentation.

The tech writer can then add customer name and other custom information to
the document. The result can be printed or ported to the internet using any
commercially available utility like HTML Transit.

____
M. David Orr
Orr & Associates/Usability Management
7366 N. Lincoln Ave., Suite 101