Re: Use of term nominal and nominally

Subject: Re: Use of term nominal and nominally
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- SIMPLYWRITTEN -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 09:55:03 -0500

>Can anyone expand on the engineering use of the term "nominal" and its
>adverbial alternative "nominally"? (As in "nominally -48 VDC) What
>synonyms are commonly used for this sense?

Nominal means "in name, at least". It's come to be an unfortunate synonym
for "approximately", but that's not quite the same thing.

An American piece of lumber is common called a "two-by-four" because it was
once two inches by 4 inches in cross-section. No more. Yet, it's a nominal
two-by-four without being approximately two inches by four inches. It's a
two-by-four in name only.

The use of "nominal" in such constructions as "nominally 48 volts" is
borderline at best. In that construction it's synonymous for "using 48 volts
as a target with a band of acceptable variation plus and minus". In that
case I'd rather use "48 volts, plus or minus 5 volts." It's more precise and
avoids the sloppy use of "nominal".

If I had my way I'd save "nominal" for usages that truly are names of items:
.38 Special, for example. I'd prefer to see "approximately" or "approximate"
where appropriate: approximately 8 inches deep. And in cases where the
meaning is "such-and-so, plus or minus", I'd say so.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882
http://www.simplywritten.com
Creators of the Clustar Method for task-based documentation