Re: FWD: Anchored Frames in FrameMaker

Subject: Re: FWD: Anchored Frames in FrameMaker
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 14:20:18 GMT

Actually, you might be able to compromise by putting graphics in
tables. This makes it easy to keep captions with graphics (if you're
using captions) and helps standardize spacing.

I don't know how well this works with HTML et al.

Good luck,

Barb

>1) Create a distinct, center-aligned paragraph tag (called FIGURE, for
>example), to which we could anchor and shrink wrap a displayed graphic.

>2) Use only the existing paragraph tags, and anchor the frame to the
>paragraph that precedes or follows the graphic. Instead of shrink wrapping
>the figure, we "eye-ball" it to distribute evenly within the frame's
>borders, then extend the frame width to the page margins so the graphic
>appears to be centered.

>Supporters of method 2 insist that, in fact, the reverse is true--that "my
>way" sounds good in theory, but actually fails in practice. They argue that
>method 1 introduces alignment, spacing and positioning issues, and also
>suggest that "empty" paragraph tags cause problems when converting
>documents to HTML, XML or SGML.

Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing. caslonsvcs -at- ibm -dot- net
Cleveland, OH