Re: Books - what are the best references for HTML? Try Ray and Ra y's!

Subject: Re: Books - what are the best references for HTML? Try Ray and Ra y's!
From: "Thwing, Cathy" <CThwing -at- TUSD -dot- K12 -dot- AZ -dot- US>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 08:37:51 -0700

Ray and Ray's _Mastering HTML 4.0_ (Sybex, 1997, ISBN:
0-7821-2102-0) is excellent! It's on my bookshelf, and I refer to it
whenever I need a quick reminder. The body of the book progresses
effectively from beginning to advanced techniques and considerations. Much
of the book deals with HTML 3.2 (which is essential, since using HTML 4.0 is
still not always practical on sites that will be visited by users with older
browsers) and the examples dealing with 4.0 do a good job of covering what's
supported by Netscape vs. what's supported by IE.

At the end of the book, you'll find a great reference section,
covering HTML elements, Cascading Style Sheets, and JavaScript.

While some argue that one shouldn't buy a book, since it'll be
outdated by the time it's published, I find it helpful to use a reference
like this book. I know I'll need to be writing pages in HTML 3.2 for our
Internet site for quite a while -- so it doesn't matter if my reference book
doesn't cover all the latest in the language -- and it's so convenient to be
able to thumb to a reference page.