Re: Use of the word "the" in figure captions

Subject: Re: Use of the word "the" in figure captions
From: Barb Ostapina <Barb -dot- Ostapina -at- METROMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 12:57:59 -0500

Kathy Stanzler wrote:

> There's a difference of opinion between myself and my supervisor over
> the use of the word "The" in figure captions, as in "The such-and-such
> dialog box." He wants the word "the" removed, I think it should stay.
> looked it up in the MS Manual of Style and found support for my
> opinion.
> I would appreciate other opinions on this.

I, like others on this list, do not use "the" in captions. But, once again,
it seems that anything goes as long as you're consistent.
I recommend that if your boss wants it out, take it out. You have to pick
your battles in this world, and this one hardly seems
worth the fight.
--B
barb -dot- ostapina -at- metromail -dot- com
...speaking only for myself.