Salary Calculators -- Summary

Subject: Salary Calculators -- Summary
From: John David Hickey <jdavid -at- FARABI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:43:14 -0400

From the desk of John David Hickey -- Technical Author
Farabi Technology Corporation

Greetings!

Now that the whole Saudi Arabia and Cost of Living threads seem to have
died down, I think it's safe to post a summary of the information I was
able to glean from it. Thanks to everyone who participated!

The following list contains the people who posted the information, the
information itself, and an URL where you can find everything else.

1. Mary Reynolds (mreynold -at- NORTEL -dot- CA) and Judith C. Grunberger
(jcookson -at- MCCABE -dot- COM)
* ACCRA (American Chamber of Commerce Researchers Association)
:http://www.accra.org/research_data/coli_pub.htm publishes a quarterly Cost
of Living Index. It compares the cost of living in cities in the U.S. (I'm
not sure about Canada) whose chambers of commerce participate in the
project. Usually there are about 300 cities participating, but not all
cities participate every quarter.
* The ACCRA Cost of Living Index is available at public libraries in major
cities, and also through Chambers of Commerce. You can call them and ask.
There may be something online by now, too.
2. The Tech Writer (techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com): http://www.homefair.com
3. joanne grey (j_grey -at- WRITEANGLES -dot- COM):
http://www2.homefair.com/calc/salcalc.html
4. Barry Campbell [SMTP:barry -at- webveranda -dot- com]
* You *can* find "salary calculators" on the Web which estimate the
relative purchasing power of money in various locations; one such program
(the "Cost of Living Comparator") can be found on Money Magazine's web site
at http://www.pathfinder.com/money/bestplaces/col/compare.html

BTW, I only mentioned Abu D'habi in my original post to illustrate that I
was searching for information on cities far, far, far, far, far, far from
my own. The whole thread that was spawned from an offhanded city suggestion
gave me waaaaay more information than I was looking for on Saudi Arabia. Ah
well... These posts seem to have a life of their own, sometimes.

---
Be seeing you,

Dave
jdavid -at- farabi -dot- com
Montreal, Quebec

No trees were destroyed in writing this email.
My messages are made with elephant tusks and dolphin meat.

Do not confuse my opinions with my employers'.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.