Re: Capitalization question

Subject: Re: Capitalization question
From: Smokey Lynne L Bare <slbare -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 19:41:13 -0400

I just settled this question for a client with the aid of technical
research librarians. Here is what has been documented by them:

infranet - is lower case ('network' set up in one building servicing
departments in that building)

intranet - lower case (an infranet network providing connection to
dedicated local buildings in a close proximity, such as a campus.

extranet - lower case (long distance [another town] users directly
connected to an infranet/intranet)

internet - lower case - copyrighted word by IBM usually referring to a
group systems (I'm at home so I don't have their training manual for ISP
in front of me, where it is listed to quote it verbatim.

Internet - capitalized - referring to the World Wide Web as a proper
noun.

SLBare, C.T.C.