last time: the transitive thing

Subject: last time: the transitive thing
From: Cyndy Davis <kivrin -at- ZDNETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 15:20:24 -0700

Since there was a lively discussion about "display", I though a few people might be interested in the finale at my company.

Even though I have proved, through the use of everyone's great posts, that I am correct in the usage being transitive, my boss has decided that we will continue. The theory is that it is a "semantic issue only cared about by English majors" and does not affect our users, since we have had no complaints.

This is the moment that I scream, wondering why I bothered teaching my students correct grammar in high school if it is all for naught! For the post that commented on grammar issues causing you to hold the writer in contempt, remember that each writer is paid by the final authority on what will be printed. Although I would love to stand up for grammar, truth and the American way, I need to pay the rent.

Thanks again to everyone.

Cyndy Davis

Free web-based email, anytime, anywhere!
ZDNet Mail - http://www.zdnetmail.com