Re: Important News for Writers (long): Errors & Omissions Insurance

Subject: Re: Important News for Writers (long): Errors & Omissions Insurance
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 14:40:21 GMT

> o How many of you (independent contractors) have
> Errors & Omissions insurance?
I do two things: I carry liability insurance and my contract states
that the client is responsible for technical review of all material
that I write. Like others have mentioned, I also save source material.

E&O insurance is primarily for printers. It's expensive, and my
insurance agent was adament that it was not appropriate for me.
Instead, I got insurance that covers me for $1M in legal costs and $1M
damages. I think it runs between $100 to 200 a year. It's through
Westfield Companies.

I talked to my personal insurance agent first, but they didn't carry
business insurance. She recommended the firm that represents
Westfield. If you trust your insurance agent, check there first --
they could have some good suggestions.

Barb
Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing. caslonsvcs -at- ibm -dot- net
Cleveland, OH