Re: UI Design in Windows Software

Subject: Re: UI Design in Windows Software
From: JGREY <JGREY -at- MADE2MANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 08:18:02 -0500

Hi Hope,

My interest in your note was piqued when you mentioned that you're
working under an MSF model. At Made2Manage, we do all our software
development under our "M2MSF" model, which is based on MSF. I sit on a
couple design teams (we call them "feature teams") and have run into the
very issue you mention. Also, like your users, many of our users use
their computer only for our product. If you ask them what kind of
computer they have, they reply, "Made2Manage." (Our company's name and
product name are the same.)

Our current Windows product goes a long way to accommodate our old DOS
users. For example, in our DOS product, the login screen required that
you type your username, press Enter to move off the field, type your
password, press Enter to move off the field, and then press Enter to log
in. The Windows product behaves the same for the comfort of former DOS
users -- you can type name, Enter, password, Enter, Enter. It also
supports the Windows standard of pressing Tab between fields. But now
our user base has expanded far beyond former DOS users -- I'd say that
75% of users never used our DOS product. So when they log in by typing
their username, pressing Tab, typing their password, and pressing Enter
(to activate the OK button), they are very confused when nothing
happens. They still have to hit Enter one more time. It's
counterintuitive. It's an education and support issue now.

We have learned. As we redesign interface elements, we try to
*reasonably* accommodate users of systems we used to sell by offering
alternatives that work as they're used to. But we no longer make design
decisions that cater to those users or adversely affect users who have
never used those systems.

We are also introducing usability testing into our interface design
process. I suggest that your design team try it. Create a longer tree
structure, bring in some likely users, and have them try it out to see
if it stops them. This will give you empirical evidence from which to
base your decisions. (I recommend _Handbook of Usability Testing_ by
Jeffrey Rubin, ISBN 0-471-58403-2, to help you get started.)

I really enjoy the cross-discipline design teams that MSF encourages.
However, a potential downfall is that those on the team present their
pet ideas or want to drive features into the product based solely on
their experiences. To minimize this effect, it is critical to expose
the teams to the kind of evidence that usability testing provides.

Peace,
jim

jim grey \ Documentation Manager
Made2Manage Systems, Inc. \ jgrey -at- made2manage -dot- com